Coconut oil is extracted from coconuts through a few simple steps. After you open the coconut and drain it of its water, you grate the white insides, and then put all of it into a bowl with water. Leave the white residue in the water overnight and then the cream will harden. The cream will be on top while all else below is your water. Scoop out the cream and cook it until it is brown. Drain the oil from the brown residue and all that remains is coconut oil. In lower than 76˚F (24˚C), coconut oil will remain a solid.
Why do should you even care about coconut oil?
1) Cooking substitute to vegetable or olive oil
While coconut oil is commonly used in cooking as a substitute to vegetable oil or even olive oil, its haunting, nutty flavor with a touch of sweetness lends itself best to be used in baked goods, pastries, and even popcorn.
2) Rub on your skin to moisturize your skin naturally
In addition, its unique high concentration of saturated fat has made it one of the most highly sought after organic oils for moisturizing your skin. A recent study by the Journal of Cosmetic Science noticed that coconut oil reduced the protein loss in hair. Many exfoliating scrubs are made with coconut oils combined with coconut sugars.
3) Eat it and get more energy without the caffeine side effects
Coconut oil contains fatty acids called medium-chain triglycerides, which are immediately coverted into energy. Its unique compound actually promotes healthy metabolism, increases your stamina, and gives you energy like caffeine without the side effects. You can basically take a couple teaspoons a day and eat it raw.
Five reasons you should eat one teaspoon of coconut oil every day
1) Healthy alternative to caffeine without the side effects.
2) Fights aging and keeps you feeling and looking youthful
3) Helps boast cognitive functioning and memory recall
4) Special fats help you burn more fat so you have more energy
5) Has a delicious nutty flavor with a touch of sweetness